6 Steps to Help You Start Speaking in Tongues by Jared Laskey
By Jared Laskey
5 Ebook PDF Downloads
By Jeremy Lopez
The baptism with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues are important aspects of the Christian faith. The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity and is the source of power and comfort for believers.
And we need to know Him personally. He is an incredible and exciting person who loves to glorify Jesus and talk to us. And He gives us spiritual gifts, distributing them to His kids as He wills (1 Cor. 12:11).
Speaking in tongues, or “glossolalia,” is a manifestation of a spiritual gift from the Holy Spirit within an individual and is a sign of being filled with the Spirit. And the Bible has a lot to say about the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues. Acts 2:1-4 is the first place where speaking in tongues is mentioned, empowering the church to testify about Jesus.
And Acts 10:44-48 is a true story of when the Holy Spirit fell on the Gentiles in Cornelius’ household. They were “speaking in tongues and extolling God (v. 46, ESV). According to 1 Corinthians 14:14-15 you can pray in tongues and sing with your mind and your spirit, giving thanks to God. Isn’t that amazing?
Receiving the baptism with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is a life-changing experience. And it is for you. Yes, you! It was promised to you, your children and all who call on the name of the Lord (Acts 2:38-39). If you want this incredible gift, it is important to have a proper understanding of how to receive it.
Here are six steps that can help you receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit and start speaking in tongues:
1. Seek the Holy Spirit: The first step in receiving the baptism with the Holy Spirit is to seek Him with a sincere heart. Repent of any sin, purifying your heart. Then start asking Jesus to fill you with the Holy Spirit and to give you the gift of speaking in tongues.
2. Surrender to God: Surrender your life to God, allowing Him to control you. The Holy Spirit is a gift from God, but you must be willing to receive it. Tell Him that you are surrendering to Him and that you love Him. You can do this right now, so pause and surrender to Him.
3. Pray for the Holy Spirit: Once you have sought the Holy Spirit and surrendered your life to God, you should start praying for the Holy Spirit to fall upon you. Pray with faith, asking God to fill you with the Holy Spirit, giving you the gift of speaking in tongues (Luke 11:13).
4. Expect to receive the Holy Spirit: Believe and know that Jesus will answer your prayer. Stand on the promise, saying, “Lord, you promised that all your disciples will be clothed with power, receiving the promise of the Father. I stand on this promise from Luke 24:49 and know You will answer me.” Jesus is more excited to answer your prayer, fulfilling His promise than you know because He loves you so much.
5. Worship Jesus, asking Him to baptize you in His Holy Spirit: While worshipping, you may feel the Holy Spirit moving within you. Syllables, phrases or sounds may come to your mind so speak those out loud enough for you to hear yourself. Don’t be afraid to speak them out, even if you don’t understand what you are saying. The Holy Spirit will give you the words to say, and more words will flow as you speak them out in praise to God. Do this for however long it takes. It can be 30 seconds, a few minutes or an hour or more. Just ask for more! He will send His waves of power over you during this amazing and intimate time.
6. Speak in tongues daily: Once you have received the baptism with the Holy Spirit and have started speaking in tongues, continue to pray in tongues daily. Build this prayer language up. This will help you to develop your spiritual gift, growing in your relationship with God. You are now empowered by the Spirit of God to tell others about Jesus and His love for everyone.
It is important to remember that the baptism with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues are not the end goal of our faith. Rather, they are a doorway into more of God. Speaking in tongues will help us grow in our relationship with Him, strengthening our faith as we fellowship with the Spirit.
Receiving the baptism with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is a powerful and transformative experience. By seeking the Holy Spirit, surrendering to God, praying for the Holy Spirit, expecting to receive Him, worshipping Jesus when you ask Him to fill you, you can receive the Holy Spirit and start speaking in tongues today.